Saturday, March 17, 2012

Green With Envy

(four leaf clover chair by designer Ron Arad)
Well, it's St. Paddy's Day, and though I don't really celebrate it, I thought it would be fun to showcase all the beautiful green things popping up this spring in design (my colleague Rebecca inspired me to write this post, as we were both drawn to the cover of House Beautiful this month, the theme being green).

Green is on the horizon like never before, and yet it's been here all around us forever.  The bright color green is sometimes hard for a client to embrace. One would think that we would be used to it, considering the minute you walk out your door, it's everywhere....the trees, bushes, grass, elements of architecture, traffic signals, street signs. An old design friend, Tanya Piper had an interesting way of looking at the color green. She used to say you can mix multiple shades and hues of green without fear of it clashing or not matching because it emulates real nature. When you look outside at all the greenery, no one ever notices how many different kinds of "verde" there is. She was so right.

The easiest way to add color is a little fabric. Here are a few samples of green textures and patterns I like to use.

Jamie Drake's Babe's Tweed, in Granny Smith for Schumacher,  love the mix of greens, so versatile and textural for upholstery.

This screams St. Patrick's Day! Studio Bon's Ellen in color Stem.

I love this herringbone stripe from Kelly Wearstler, one of my favorite designers.

This is a new print from Kelly for Groundworks. I love how dimensional it is. Mineral  Juniper, Lake.

This is an indoor/outdoor fabric from Trina Turk for Schumacher! I love all the mixed mini prints in this chevron pattern. The mix of greens with the black and white is fresh and fun. 

Such a whimsical fabric from Studio Bon called  Wired, in Lime.

This is a fun geometric pattern from Thom Filicia I think can be used in many applications

I love Madeline Weinrib fabrics!!! This zig-zag and ikat both work well in eclectic homes.
My favorite new fabric is this frenetic stripe by Travers. I think I would be happy with a whole sofa covered in this!!!
Zimmer Rhode, Andalucia Velvet, #40086,  color 756

Wallpaper is a great alternative to adding paint. Although paint is easier, it is hard to achieve texture and depth. I love Designers Guild wallpaper and fabric. The quality of their products is fantastic.



I love this snakeskin print!
Not a floral person, but this is fun mixed with the white furniture. I love that color chartreuse.
Grass cloth wallpaper in a shade of green can make a bigger statement than just painting. It gives an element of texture and can act as a neutral backdrop or add punch.

I love this interior by Pat Healing. Combining earth tones and crisp white to the color palette, the green grass cloth walls become a natural backdrop.

I love a green kitchen done right. There are a million concept photos to post, but I'll just share two recently published that I think really says "I'm green and proud of it!!"
This kitchen by Carey Maloney of MGroup, is really interesting. I love the intense color green for the cabinets below, and the gorgeous tile back splash, which was even installed on the backs inside the upper cabinets. How clever.
This kitchen was done by Meg Braff. I love the mahogany counter tops that offset the saturated green, plus the wall paper gives another element of texture. I also like the whiteness of the ceiling, it gives relief. (I do have to be honest and say...I would have left out the rugs)
 How about a showcase of some of the great home furnishings available this spring in green.....

Jonathan Adler's Zebra Rug in Green

Crate and Barrel's Ming Side Chair is wonderful in the rich "Irish" green.

I love this chartreuse colored sofa from Anthropologie

The design of the Arper Leaf chaise from ABC Home is fantastic. 

How pretty is this beautiful colored glass Calais chandelier from Z Gallerie?
How inventive...an all glass light fixture with a green cord, from CB2
How beautiful would these Emerald Green Crystal  knobs from Top Knobs be on a dresser?

A few Moroccan poufs in this lime green from Furbish would do the trick!

This tray is on One Kings Lane from Hayes right now! Love the trellis pattern.

Chop! Chop! How cute is this Cuisinart Mini Prep in  a clover green!
Kate Spade's Gardner Street Green Dinnerware is perfect for spring.

A parsons bed customized by Room and Board. They have a whole line of home furnishings that come in this color.

Another accessory from Room and Board, the Nebula Bowl. Perfect for any cocktail table.

This is a gorgeous hand painted shade from Anthropologie. It would cheer up any room!


How about a veggie burger off this Weber grill in green, available at Sur La Table.
Restoration Hardware has come out with  their new outdoor pillows from Perennials and are showcasing a beautiful chartreuse and grey scheme. 

   
The Loll swing from Designs Withing Reach comes in Leaf (shown) and British Green among other colors.
For the finale...more favorite interior concept photos that showcase how fabulous green can be!

 
Anthony Baratta and Williiam Diamond designed this interior. Very intense color, definitely not for everyone.

Martyn Lawrence Bullard designed this media room for the Windsor Smith showhouse. I love the kelly green pop of he chair and table.

Look it how amazing just a splash of green in a piece of artwork looks?

What a great retreat in the Hamptons by designer Todd Hase.

I love this mix of traditional architectural elements, contemporary  furnishings and the intense  saturation of color on the walls and drapery. This interior is designed by Julies Hayes.

This interior was on the cover of House Beautiful this month. I love these  domed chairs with the minty green velvet, and the sculptural headboard against that gorgeous wallpaper.  Interior design by Fawn Galli.


Ahhhhh...these two pictures are of the Viceroy in Santa Monica, designed by no other than my hero, Kelly Wearstler. I am so privileged to have gotten to see this hotel in person.  This was so cutting edge when it opened. 


The turquoise green walls in this interior featured in Architectural Digest acts as a neutral background behind all of the colorful artwork and furnishings. Who'da think orange drapes against this snappy green wall with a burgundy sofa and  every other color in the rainbow would work....it does though. 

This hallway by Steven Scarloff is papered in the same banana leaf wallpaper  from the famous Beverly Hills Hotel.  No way would I live in this....but I still think it's cool. 


I love little girls rooms' don't you! So pretty with all the different shades and patterns.

This Anthropologie bed with draping would be fit for any princess.

Fawn Galli again with this great contemporary girls' room. Awesome faux brick wallpaper,  and I love the green zebra drapes.  

Hope you find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow today!!

1 comment:

  1. Always so much fun and inspirational! Banana Leaf Paper...

    ReplyDelete